Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pregnancy Ups and Downs

Some background information about what we have been going through since I was told that I needed to go on bed rest in order for our baby daughter to survive.  All is well now, and I will add a post about everything since this date.

This past month has been a roller coaster of emotions and I now feel comfortable sharing with you some of those hills and valleys.

At 22 weeks, I was told that I had no choice but to go on "home bed rest" because there were complications developing and I might not be able to carry this baby long enough for her to survive.  I had started with pre-term labor and was in need of medication to stop it and ordered to stay off my feet.  I could lay down in bed or on the sofa, sit on the sofa or sit in a chair. I was not to do any housework whatsoever, not even stand to cook meals, do any walking except to a place to sit, lay down, or the restroom!

Now to say the least this was heart wrenching news but something that I knew had to be followed to the letter.  Luckily I have a very loving husband who immediately stepped up to the plate and has been handling most of the running of the household, caring for our three children as well as running our business by himself.  We have had wonderful church family who have set up a "dinner brigade" for us where someone from church is preparing and delivering dinner to us so that John doesn't have to cook or stop at a fast food drive in or one of the pizza carryout places.

Of all the chores that John doesn't like to do it is fold laundry! My mom has helped by coming out to the house and handling that chore for him unless she is tied up with projects that she can't get away from. She has also helped with entertaining the children until school started and helped keep the house picked up and tidy.
John now has a routine down where he seems to have everything under control quite well. Now if he could solve my "cabin fever" we would be in good shape!

I am not one who likes to sit still and just watch tv,  play on the computer all day long, stay in bed all day or take long afternoon naps.  This staying down and off my feet has been driving me crazy.  You know how it is when you see a smudged window or the kids have left dishes all over the table as they dash out the door for school? You want to get out the cleaning stuff and clean that window, along with a few more!  You want to pick up the dishes and throw them in the dishwasher, wipe down the table and the chairs. For me to have to ignore all of that or the toothpaste spit in the sink or the unmade beds is very hard on this Type A personality!

We are now at 28 weeks and I continue on my medication at the prescribed intervals without having to take any extra as I did earlier on. I continue to take one day at a time, knowing that each day keeps our little girl safer inside where she now belongs. As each day passes, her survival chances improve along with the chances that she will be born without any physical or mental complications.

I place my trust in God and pray daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment